Talk Design and Print - Environmental policy for printing
We believe that businesses are responsible for achieving good environmental practice and operating in a sustainable manner. We are therefore committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy and operating methods. It is our priority to encourage our customers, suppliers and all business associates to do the same. Not only is this sound commercial sense for all; it is also a matter of delivering on our duty of care towards future generations.
Certificate of Environmental Responsibility
We have implemented an waste recycling system for the segregation and recycling of all paper, card, tins & cans, plastic cups & bottles and printer cartridges required by the Environmental Act 1990, Section 34.
Our environmental policy is to:
- Wholly support and comply with or exceed the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice.
- Minimise our waste and then reuse or recycle as much of it as possible.
- Ensure all print onto paper is printed onto FSC certified paper supplied by UK suppliers. (FSC = Forest Stewardship Council).
- Minimise energy and water usage in our buildings, vehicles and processes in order to conserve supplies, and minimise our consumption of natural resources, especially where they are non-renewable. We use no gas for any of our building energy.
- Operate and maintain company vehicles with due regard to environmental issues as far as reasonably practical and encourage the use of alternative means of transport and car sharing as appropriate. Our one compny vehicle is completely electric.
- Apply the principles of continuous improvement in respect of air, water, noise and light pollution from our premises and reduce any impacts from our operations on the environment and local community.
- As far as possible purchase products and services that do the least damage to the environment and encourage others to do the same.
- Assess the environmental impact of any new processes or products we intend to introduce in advance.
- Ensure that all employees understand our environmental policy and confirm to the high standards it requires.
- Using digital toners that are considered vegan.
- Address complaints about any breach of our Environmental Policy promptly and to the satisfaction of all concerned. Update our Environmental Policy annually in consultation with staff, associates and customers.
Some key facts about printing and sustainability
- Between 2005 and 2015, European forests grew by an area the size of Switzerland – that's 1,500 football pitches every day!
- Europe recycles 72% of its paper
- 84% of the industry’s raw materials come from Europe
- Between 2005 and 2013, the CO2 emissions of the European pulp and paper industry were reduced by 22%
- 56% of the industry’s total primary annual energy consumption is biomass-based